Translate

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

The right to speak out

    On my way to work this morning, I stumbled across a radio station that I don't usually listen to.  There was a lady speaking on what I initially thought was the Republican debates and clearly she wasn't Republican so I waited to see who she was going to trash.  The interview quickly shifted from  the debates in general to one specific topic, Republicans and their stance on Abortion.  As I listened further, the speaker shared her views and gave a plug for her organization.  She spoke eloquently and was witty, even making fun of the fact that the radio station would get hate mail and their twitter would blow up for a few days because they had her on.  I wondered who she was.  Finally at the end of the show they thanked Lizz Winstead for joining them.

  Now I had a name to go with this speaker.  Lizz Winstead, I had never heard of her, possibly because I stand on the opposite side-of-view on all the topics she spoke about.  However, she was charming and engaging and this would be the kind of person that I would enjoy having these types of discussion/debates with.  So often, people on opposite sides of the spectrum on; politics, religion, social issues, etc can't even exist in the same room without someone's head exploding.  This lady stood firm on what she believed, spoke well about it but didn't leave you with your blood boiling if you didn't agree with her.

   As I finished my drive in, I thought how fortunate we are to live in a country where there are people who are passionate about what they believe and can share those views publicly without fear of retaliation (well, except for social media).

No comments:

Post a Comment