Translate

Friday, July 24, 2015

ZZ plant

Gardening has become a new hobby of mine, well not true gardening but a couple of vegetables in the garden and several indoor plants.  As I was out purchasing indoor plants, a unique plant caught my attention.  It had shiny leaves and grew straight up.  Zamioculcas zamiifolia was its name and so I took it home.  It was within a month, it had grown taller and was beginning to push the boundaries of its pot.  After one quick search on how to divide a zz plant, I had a plan.

                                                   Here is a picture of the original plant. 



So I took the plant outside and took it out of its warped pot.  What came next will probably upset "true botanists"  but I took a kitchen knife and did my best to divide the plant so that I wouldn't slice too much of the tuber's.  What was supposed to become 3 plants turned into 4 when one of the little sections that did not have a tuber connected to it just fell off.  I thought what the heck, the only thing that I thought was "what's the worst that can happen".  I repotted the 4 little zz plants and waited to see what would happen.


The only problem that I had was one leaf that was almost almost buried when I started, it is turning yellowish.  It has been about a month and it is still hanging in there.  Not any different, just sitting there.




The above plant and has new growth starting, to the left of the yellowish leaf.  The plant below has grown significantly and the shoot on the left has doubled in size from the small shoot that was there when I cut it.


I just wanted to share the experience I had dividing the plant.  I did not have much luck finding any info online about how to do it, I may have done everything wrong, but it seems to be thriving in spite of the kitchen knife.  

No comments:

Post a Comment