Translate

Monday, February 17, 2014

Arm knitting

So Friday I was awakened to the wonderful world of Arm Knitting.  One You tube video and I was intrigued.  So 2 skeins of yarn later, and the support of all my work friends, I have completed my first scarf created entirely with my own two hands. 

   Images of being trapped in a car in the wilderness for the next 6 days with only water, granola bars and a few balls of yarn suddenly became much less scary.  Oh the possibilities.  When the paramedics and fire trucks finally pull me out of the trapped wilderness and the news crews arrive to film this breaking story, I will launch my Arm Knitting business and become an instant millionaire.  (too far?  Ok back to reality) 

  I discovered something's that had never occurred to me;
1.  Not all people pronounce skein the same way.  My whole life I have heard it pronounced skein as in (skeen)  but one of my co-workers said skein as in (skane).  I Googled it, and the proper pronunciation is skane, long A as in neighbor is pronounced naybor.  However, proper pronunciation aside, the part of the country you grew up in defines how you pronounce the word.  My southern roots are showing again.
2.  Not all people learn the same way.  The same You tube video that gave me clear guidelines on how to accomplish this, did not work with everyone in the room.  It took trail and error and multiple attempts.  Luckily Arm Knitting is a very forgiving craft. 
3.  Two completely conflicting colors of yarn turn into a beautiful scarf. 

No comments:

Post a Comment